Built 1897. Designed by Dugald Drummond.
Total Number Built 30 - Total to BR 30.
Introduced March 1897. Drummond London & South Western Railway (LSWR) goods locomotive design with 175lb/sq.in boiler, all fitted with superheaters from 1921 to 1927. Classification 4F.
In 1921 one loco was rebuilt by Urie with an Eastleigh superheater and an extended smokebox raising the boiler pressure to 180lb/sq.in. By 1929 the entire class had been superheated, although after 1924 these were fitted with Maunsell superheaters.
The class was nicknamed 'Black Motors'.
Number Series 30306/08/09/15-17/23-27/39/46/50/52/55/68, 30687-30701.
Built at Dubs & Co. Works, Glasgow.
These engines were primarily designed for goods traffic, but the locomotives were occasionally to be found on specials and excursion trains. All survived to be taken into British Railways Southern Region stock.
The LSWR 700 class was a class of 30 0-6-0 steam locomotives introduced 1897, designed for freight work, all fitted with superheaters from 1921.
Early in 1895 there was a need for a further 25 or 30 modern goods locomotives on the London and South Western Railway. William Adams was ill at the time but his Works Manager obtained permission to approach outside contractors for quotations and delivery dates. No further action was taken in the hope that William Adams would recover, but he was forced to resign from his position because of declining health and in due course Dugald Drummond was appointed. Drummond immediately substituted his own drawings for the 0-6-0 goods locomotives and obtained tenders from seven manufacturers. Eventually the tender by Dubs & Co was accepted for delivery of the locomotives by June 1897. Most were delivered by that date with a few a couple of months late. Drummond had designed locomotives that were very similar to a previous class of his built for the Caledonian Railway some years earlier and built by Dübs and Company at that company's Queen's Park works at Polmadie, Glasgow, Scotland.
Initially they suffered some mechanical problems, particularly with jamming regulators which caused some mishaps, and a few broken axles, but eventually they settled down to handling the company's heaviest goods trains, taking over duties from the Adams '395' and 'Jubilee' classes. Frequently they appeared on secondary passenger trains as well. They were allocated to most of the major sheds of the system, from Nine Elms through to Exmouth Junction.
The class was originally numbered 687–716 but the year after delivery Nos. 702–716 were renumbered, somewhat haphazardly using numbers vacated by engines that had been withdrawn) by the LSWR between June and August 1898, becoming 306, 308, 309, 315, 317, 325–327, 339, 346, 350, 352, 355, 368, 459 respectively to make way for new T9 4-4-0s. In June 1912, no. 459 was renumbered again, to 316 to make way for a new T14 4-6-0. The locomotives gained the nickname 'Black Motor' early in their career. They were well designed and had few major modifications during the existence of the fleet – the exception being fitted with superheaters from 1919 to 1929, which required the fitting of an extended smokebox. They shared many standard parts with Drummond's other designs (including sharing boilers with the M7 class).
The new engines subsequently had standardised parts, such as the boiler, firebox, cylinders and motion, common with the classes M7, C8 and K10
locomotives. At delivery time they were numbered 687-716, and logically the class should have become known as the '687' class as no. 700 was merely the 14th loco built and delivered. And so things continued unchanged, each locomotive doing solid, unglamorous work, right through WW1.
In 1919, Urie decided to apply superheating to no. 316 (ex-459, ex-716), requiring extended smokebox, extensions to the frames and raising the boiler pitch by 9 inches. The raising of the boiler meant that the cab design and shape required changes, making it seem taller, which was emphasised by the substitution of a rather stark stovepipe chimney. In due course superheating was applied to the remainder of the class by Maunsell after the grouping.
Many of the class were involved in a series of tender exchanges with classes T9, D15, K10 and L11 to enable T9s to work on the ex-SECR lines in the 1920s.
At one point in 1936, the 700 class was reclassified as C class, but this caused confusion with the ex-SECR C class locomotives and the change was discarded.
Soon after the locomotives passed to Southern Railway (SR) ownership, their LSWR numbers were prefixed "E" to denote Eastleigh Works - this was done to distinguish similarly-numbered locomotives from the other constituents of the SR; thus, LSWR no. 687 became SR no. E687. These prefixes were dropped from mid-1931. In the meantime, there had been a proposal (prepared in March 1927) to renumber some classes into continuous blocks: the 700 class were allocated the series E336–9, E369–379 and E686–701 but none were actually renumbered, and the plan was cancelled in December 1927.
The 700s remained intact as a class through SR ownership from 1923 to 1947. The arrival of the S15s, the Maunsell Q 0-6-0s and subsequently the Bulleid Q1 0-6-0s, meant that some of the usual duties of the 700s were lost but there continued to be very useful goods work for them until almost the end of steam.
In 1948 all had 30000 added to their former LSWR/SR numbers, but they all continued working into the 1950s. Except for no 30688, an accident casualty in 1957, they all survived until the rapid decline in goods traffic and local branch and secondary lines in the early 1960s. Wholesale withdrawal of the class took place in 1961 and 1962, although 30697 was steamed for the last time in January 1964, after a lifespan of almost 67 years. Several of the last survivors were taken out of "normal service" and fitted with snow ploughs in the autumn of 1963 (a classic case of responding after the event!) and were finally withdrawn with snow ploughs still attached
The first to be withdrawn was No. 30688 in September 1957 from Feltham shed after being involved in an accident.
The second, No. 30352, following in June 1959 and then the 3rd, No. 30687, in September 1960.
Massive inroads into the class took place during 1961-62. and the final seven were all withdrawn by British Railways in December 1962.
None were saved for preservation.
Introduced : 1897
Designer : Dugald Drummond
Builder : Dübs & Co.
Works Serial number : 3510–3538
Wheel Configuration : 0-6-0
UIC classification : C n2
Driver Wheel diameter : 5 ft 1 ins (1.549 m)
Locomotive weight : 42.75 long tons (43.44 t)
Tender capacity : coal: 79 tons 9 cwt/; water: 3,500 imp gal (16,000 l)
Tender Weight : 39 tons 12 cwt
Length : 54 ft 1¼ ins
Boiler pressure : 175 psi (1.21 MPa)
Firegrate area : 20.25 sq ft (1.881 m2)
Tubes : 1,068 sq ft (99.2 m2)
Heating surface: Firebox 124 sq ft (11.5 m2)
Valve Gear : Stephenson (slide valves)
Cylinder size : Two 18½in × 26in (470×660 mm)
Tractive effort : 22,300 lbf (100.03 kN)
Power class : LSWR / SR: C
Number in class : 30
Nicknames : Black Motor
Disposition : All rebuilt with superheaters
LSWR 700 class (after superheating)
Only details that changed are shown here:
UIC classification : C h2
Locomotive weight : 46.70 long tons (47.45 t)
Boiler pressure : 180 psi (1.24 MPa)
Tender capacity : 4 tons 0 cwt
Boiler pressure : 180lb/sq in Su
Heating surface : Tubes 860 sq ft (80 m2)
Heating surface : Firebox 117 sq ft (10.9 m2)
Superheater type : Eastleigh (11); later all Maunsell
Superheater area : Eastleigh: 167 sq ft (15.5 m2); Maunsell 182 sq ft (16.9 m2)
Cylinder size : Two 19in × 26in : (483×660 mm)
Tractive effort : 23,500 lbf (105 kN)
Power class : LSWR / SR: C, BR: 4F, later 3F
Disposition : All scrapped