www.railuk.info

Wed 13 Dec 2017 11:20:45


 
 

Steam Loco Class Information

Top

Class Details

Grouping : Great Western Railway
Configuration : 4-6-0
Common Name : Hall
Designer : Collett

(a) Introduced 1923. Collett "Hall" rebuild with 6' 0" driving wheels of "Saint" Class locos, built 1907.
Remainder Introduced 1928. Modified version for new construction of Collett rebuilt "Saint" Class with 6' 0" driving wheels, higher pitched boiler, modified footplating and detail differences.
(b) Temp. converted to oil burning in 1947 in 39XX series - all reconverted back to coal and renumbered back to original series.

Weight:
Loco 72 tons 10 cwt (a) Driving Wheel: 6' 0"
75 tons 0 cwt
Tend 46 tons 14 cwt Boil Press: 225lb/sq in Su
Cylinders: Valve Gear: Stephenson (piston valves)
Two 18?" x 30" (outside) TE: 27,275 lb


Total Locos for Class - 259

 

4900 a
4901
4902
4903
4904
4905
4906
4907 b
4908
4909
4910
4911
4912
4913
4914
4915
4916
4917
4918
4919
4920
4921
4922
4923
4924
4925

4926
4927
4928
4929
4930
4931
4932
4933
4934
4935
4936
4937
4938
4939
4940
4941
4942
4943
4944
4945
4946
4947
4948 b
4949
4950
4951

4952
4953
4954
4955
4956
4957
4958
4959
4960
4961
4962
4963
4964
4965
4966
4967
4968 b
4969
4970
4971 b
4972 b
4973
4974
4975
4976
4977

4978
4979
4980
4981
4982
4983
4984
4985
4986
4987
4988
4989
4990
4991
4992
4993
4994
4995
4996
4997
4998
4999
5900
5901
5902
5903

5904
5905
5906
5907
5908
5909
5910
5911
5912
5913
5914
5915
5916
5917
5918
5919
5920
5921
5922
5923
5924
5925
5926
5927
5928
5929

5930
5931
5932
5933
5934
5935
5936
5937
5938
5939
5940
5941
5942
5943
5944
5945
5946
5947
5948
5949
5950
5951
5952
5953
5954
5955 b

5956
5957
5958
5959
5960
5961
5962
5963
5964
5965
5966
5967
5968
5969
5970
5971
5972
5973
5974
5975
5976 b
5977
5978
5979
5980
5981

5982
5983
5984
5985
5986 b
5987
5988
5989
5990
5991
5992
5993
5994
5995
5996
5997
5998
5999
6900
6901
6902
6903
6904
6905
6906
6907

6908
6909
6910
6911
6912
6913
6914
6915
6916
6917
6918
6919
6920
6921
6922
6923
6924
6925
6926
6927
6928
6929
6930
6931
6932
6933

6934
6935
6936
6937
6938
6939
6940
6941
6942
6943
6944
6945
6946
6947
6948
6949 b
6950
6951
6952
6953 b
6954
6955
6956
6957 b
6958


Images for Loco Class 4900

GWR Class 4900 Hall 4-6-0 No. 4959
Image Owner/Copyright: Unknown
Views: 517
Comments: 0


No. 4959 (Later to be Named Arborfield Hall) in GWR Livery. Official Photo.


GWR Class 4900 Hall 4-6-0 No. 5914
Image Owner/Copyright: Unknown
Views: 880
Comments: 0


No. 5914 Ripon Hall in immediate Post-War GWR Brunswick Green Lined Livery. Official

Photo.


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 at Woodham Brothers Scrapyard 1966
Date Photo Taken: 18/08/1966
Date Uploaded 03/09/2014
Image Owner/Copyright: Howie Milburn
Views: 1550
Comments: 0

This picture also appears in this album : The Story of Woodham Brothers Ltd and Barry Scrapyard

BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 'Wooton Hall' at Woodham Brothers scrapyard, Barry, Wales on 18th August 1966 standing behind the tender of Castle class 7027. The rear of Hall No. 4942 tender is just visible behind. Built at Swindon Works in February 1030, it was withdrawn from 81F Oxford shed in December 1963.

The Great Western Railway 4900 Class or Hall Class is a class of 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotives designed by Charles Collett. A total of 259 were built, numbered 4900-4999, 5900-5999 and 6900-6958. The LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 and LNER Thompson Class B1 both drew heavily on design features of the Hall Class. After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways gave them the power classification 5MT.

The prototype was rebuilt from GWR Saint Class number 2925 Saint Martin in 1924 with smaller driving wheels. Additionally the cylinders were realigned in relation to the driving axle and a more modern 'Castle' - type cab was fitted. The rebuilt Saint Martin emerged from Swindon in 1924 and, renumbered 4900, embarked on three years of trials. During this period Collett introduced other modifications. The pitch of the taper boiler was altered and outside steam pipes were added.

Satisfied with no.4900's performance Collett placed an order with Swindon works and the first of the new two-cylinder Halls entered service in 1928. They differed little from the prototype; the bogie wheel diameter had been reduced by two inches from 3 ft 2 in (0.965 m) to 3 ft 0 in (0.914 m) and the valve setting amended to give an increased travel of 7.5 in (191 mm). The overall weight of the locomotive had increased by 2 tons 10 cwt (5,600 lb or 2.5 t) to 75 tons 0 cwt (168,000 lb or 76.2 t) but a tractive effort of 27,275 lbf (121.33 kN) compared favourably with the 24,935 lbf (110.92 kN) of the 'Saint'.

In what amounted to a trial run the first 14 were despatched to the arduous proving grounds of the Cornish main line. However they were so successful here and elsewhere on the GW system that by the time the first production batch of 80 had been completed in 1930 a further 178 were on order. By 1935, 150 were in service and the 259th and last Hall, No. 6958 Oxburgh Hall, was delivered in 1943.

4979's first shed allocation was Plymouth Laira and after 32 years of service it ended up at Oxford. During this time it was allocated to sheds in Penzance, Tyseley, Severn Tunnel Junction, Cardiff Canton, and ended its days in the London Division of the Western Region of British Railways, based at Southall, Reading, Didcot and finally Oxford in July 1958. It was used for a variety of duties including fast passenger service and freight.

It was sold to Fleetwood Locomotive Centre in Lancashire, and left as the 179th departure from Barry in October 1986.

In 1994 it was purchased by the Furness Railway Trust and stored at Lytham Motive Power Museum. In March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre where preventative maintenance has been carried out prior to full restoration. With the completion of the FRT''s new accommodation at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in Lancashire, it is planned that 4979 will be moved into the new shed where the restoration can continue under cover. In advance of this a number of parts have been gathered.


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 5972 at Woodham Brothers Scrapyard 1966
Date Photo Taken: 18/08/1966
Date Uploaded 03/09/2014
Image Owner/Copyright: Howie Milburn
Views: 1720
Comments: 0

This picture also appears in this album : The Story of Woodham Brothers Ltd and Barry Scrapyard

BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 5972 'Olton Hall' at Woodham Brothers scrapyard, Barry, Wales on 18th August 1966. Built at Swindon Works in April 1937. it was first allocated to Carmarthen, South Wales where it remained until 1951. After being fitted with a three row superheater at Swindon was initially allocated to Plymouth Laira TMD. It was withdrawn from 88B Cardiff East Dock in December 1963 and acquired by Woodham Brothers, Barry, Vale of Glamorgan for scrap in May 1964. Woodham Brothers sold the locomotive to Procor (UK) Ltd in Wakefield, and it left as the 125th departure from Barry in May 1981. It was based at National Railway Museum Shildon.

The Great Western Railway 4900 Class or Hall Class is a class of 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotives designed by Charles Collett. A total of 259 were built, numbered 4900–4999, 5900–5999 and 6900–6958. The LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 and LNER Thompson Class B1 both drew heavily on design features of the Hall Class. After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways gave them the power classification 5MT.

The prototype was rebuilt from GWR Saint Class number 2925 Saint Martin in 1924 with smaller driving wheels. Additionally the cylinders were realigned in relation to the driving axle and a more modern 'Castle'- type cab was fitted. The rebuilt Saint Martin emerged from Swindon in 1924 and, renumbered 4900, embarked on three years of trials. During this period Collett introduced other modifications. The pitch of the taper boiler was altered and outside steam pipes were added.

Satisfied with no.4900's performance Collett placed an order with Swindon works and the first of the new two-cylinder Halls entered service in 1928. They differed little from the prototype; the bogie wheel diameter had been reduced by two inches from 3 ft 2 in (0.965 m) to 3 ft 0 in (0.914 m) and the valve setting amended to give an increased travel of 7.5 in (191 mm). The overall weight of the locomotive had increased by 2 tons 10 cwt (5,600 lb or 2.5 t) to 75 tons 0 cwt (168,000 lb or 76.2 t) but a tractive effort of 27,275 lbf (121.33 kN) compared favourably with the 24,935 lbf (110.92 kN) of the 'Saint'.

In what amounted to a trial run the first 14 were despatched to the arduous proving grounds of the Cornish main line. However they were so successful here and elsewhere on the GW system that by the time the first production batch of 80 had been completed in 1930 a further 178 were on order. By 1935, 150 were in service and the 259th and last Hall, No. 6958 Oxburgh Hall, was delivered in 1943.

In the 2000s the locomotive achieved fame after it was used to haul the "Hogwarts Express" in the Harry Potter films.

Since 2004 private tour operator Beyond Boundaries Travel has commissioned the train each summer for use on its Harry Potter Fan Trips tours of the United Kingdom. On 11 March 2007 vandals again targeted the coaches, causing £75,000 worth of damage at West Coast Railway Company's depot in Carnforth. Ten youths, aged between twelve and fourteen years, were arrested in connection with the incident — in which 337 windows on several coaches were smashed.

In the films the locomotive is depicted pulling a train of four British Rail Mark 1 carriages. Scenes were filmed inside King's Cross railway station, crossing over the Glenfinnan Viaduct in Scotland and at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway — along with internal scenes on board the train.

When filming, Olton Hall carries a "Hogwarts Express" headboard on the smokebox, featuring the Hogwarts School crest. The same emblem is featured as part of the Hogwarts Railways' sigil on the tender and carriages. It retains its GWR number of 5972, but with alternative nameplates fitted, naming the engine Hogwarts Castle. It is painted in a crimson livery — a non-standard colour, as Great Western Railway locomotives traditionally used Brunswick Green.

Olton Hall is not the first real locomotive to be disguised for hauling the Hogwarts Express. To promote the fourth Harry Potter book Harry Potter and the Goblet Of Fire, Southern Railway West Country Class locomotive 34027 "Taw Valley" was temporarily repainted and renamed. It was rejected by film director Chris Columbus as looking "too modern" for the film but carried the name and colour for some months later.

Three full-size replicas of the locomotive as 5972 Hogwarts Castle are at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter (Universal Orlando Resort). Two as part of the Hogwarts Express train ride and the other is a static exhibit in the Hogsmeade area.


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 at Appleby Station 2014
Date Photo Taken: 16/02/2014
Date Uploaded 13/06/2015
Image Owner/Copyright: Robert Fawcett
Views: 372
Comments: 0


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 'Wootton Hall' at Appleby Station on 16 February 2014. Built at Swindon Works in February 1930, it was withdrawn from 81F Oxford shed in December 1963 and sold to Woodham Brothers, Barry for scrap.

The Great Western Railway 4900 Class or Hall Class is a class of 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotives designed by Charles Collett. A total of 259 were built, numbered 49004999, 59005999 and 69006958. The LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 and LNER Thompson Class B1 both drew heavily on design features of the Hall Class. After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways gave them the power classification 5MT.

The prototype was rebuilt from GWR Saint Class number 2925 Saint Martin in 1924 with smaller driving wheels. Additionally the cylinders were realigned in relation to the driving axle and a more modern 'Castle'- type cab was fitted. The rebuilt Saint Martin emerged from Swindon in 1924 and, renumbered 4900, embarked on three years of trials. During this period Collett introduced other modifications. The pitch of the taper boiler was altered and outside steam pipes were added.

Satisfied with no.4900's performance Collett placed an order with Swindon works and the first of the new two-cylinder Halls entered service in 1928. They differed little from the prototype; the bogie wheel diameter had been reduced by two inches from 3 ft 2 in (0.965 m) to 3 ft 0 in (0.914 m) and the valve setting amended to give an increased travel of 7.5 in (191 mm). The overall weight of the locomotive had increased by 2 tons 10 cwt (5,600 lb or 2.5 t) to 75 tons 0 cwt (168,000 lb or 76.2 t) but a tractive effort of 27,275 lbf (121.33 kN) compared favourably with the 24,935 lbf (110.92 kN) of the 'Saint'.

In what amounted to a trial run the first 14 were despatched to the arduous proving grounds of the Cornish main line. However they were so successful here and elsewhere on the GW system that by the time the first production batch of 80 had been completed in 1930 a further 178 were on order. By 1935, 150 were in service and the 259th and last Hall, No. 6958 Oxburgh Hall, was delivered in 1943.

4979's first shed allocation was Plymouth Laira and after 32 years of service it ended up at Oxford. During this time it was allocated to sheds in Penzance, Tyseley, Severn Tunnel Junction, Cardiff Canton, and ended its days in the London Division of the Western Region of British Railways, based at Southall, Reading, Didcot and finally Oxford in July 1958. It was used for a variety of duties including fast passenger service and freight.

It was sold to Fleetwood Locomotive Centre in Lancashire, and left as the 179th departure from Barry in October 1986.

In 1994 it was purchased by the Furness Railway Trust and stored at Lytham Motive Power Museum. In March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre where preventative maintenance has been carried out prior to full restoration. With the completion of the FRT's new accommodation at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in Lancashire, it is planned that 4979 will be moved into the new shed where the restoration can continue under cover. In advance of this a number of parts have been gathered.

The class was the standard mixed traffic design on the GWR, handling express passenger and heavy goods trains. As befits a jack-of-all-trades, it had a varied career with the Great Western and British Railways (Western Region), serving in the West Country, the Midlands, South Wales, London and Oxford.

Wootton Hall came into Furness Railway Trust ownership in 1994.
For the first twelve and a half years in FRT ownership, the locomotive was stored at the Lytham Motive Power Museum - having passed along Blackpool Promenade en route from its previous home at Fleetwood!
However, in March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre, where it resideds right alongside the Settle to Carlisle Railway Line! Much of the cost of the move was sponsored by the Lytham Motive Power Museum, which has aspirations to reopen in the future. It is now at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston.

Having had to take its place in the restoration queue behind first Furness Railway Number 20, and then its fellow Swindon stablemate, GWR 0-6-2T 5643, whilst at Appleby, a small team, led by Keith Brewer, has continued to visit Wootton Hall to carry out preventative maintenance. The opportunity has also been taken to purchase items when funds or opportunity allow. This is a sensible policy: many items found on Great Western Railway engines were standardised, and so it was sometimes possible to get something for Wootton Hall at the same time as purchasing a similar part for 5643, for less than we would have to pay were we to order the two fittings separately. We have also kept our eyes open for other one offs: for example, the FRT has obtained this original GWR safety valve bonnet and clack valve cover from a local collector.


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 at the Ribble Steam Railway 2015
Date Photo Taken: 06/04/2015
Date Uploaded 13/06/2015
Image Owner/Copyright: Robert Fawcett
Views: 312
Comments: 0


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 'Wooton Hall' under restoration at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston on 6 April 2015. Built at Swindon Works in February 1930, it was withdrawn from 81F Oxford shed in December 1963 and sold to Woodham Brothers, Barry for scrap.

The Great Western Railway 4900 Class or Hall Class is a class of 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotives designed by Charles Collett. A total of 259 were built, numbered 49004999, 59005999 and 69006958. The LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 and LNER Thompson Class B1 both drew heavily on design features of the Hall Class. After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways gave them the power classification 5MT.

The prototype was rebuilt from GWR Saint Class number 2925 Saint Martin in 1924 with smaller driving wheels. Additionally the cylinders were realigned in relation to the driving axle and a more modern 'Castle'- type cab was fitted. The rebuilt Saint Martin emerged from Swindon in 1924 and, renumbered 4900, embarked on three years of trials. During this period Collett introduced other modifications. The pitch of the taper boiler was altered and outside steam pipes were added.

Satisfied with no.4900's performance Collett placed an order with Swindon works and the first of the new two-cylinder Halls entered service in 1928. They differed little from the prototype; the bogie wheel diameter had been reduced by two inches from 3 ft 2 in (0.965 m) to 3 ft 0 in (0.914 m) and the valve setting amended to give an increased travel of 7.5 in (191 mm). The overall weight of the locomotive had increased by 2 tons 10 cwt (5,600 lb or 2.5 t) to 75 tons 0 cwt (168,000 lb or 76.2 t) but a tractive effort of 27,275 lbf (121.33 kN) compared favourably with the 24,935 lbf (110.92 kN) of the 'Saint'.

In what amounted to a trial run the first 14 were despatched to the arduous proving grounds of the Cornish main line. However they were so successful here and elsewhere on the GW system that by the time the first production batch of 80 had been completed in 1930 a further 178 were on order. By 1935, 150 were in service and the 259th and last Hall, No. 6958 Oxburgh Hall, was delivered in 1943.

4979's first shed allocation was Plymouth Laira and after 32 years of service it ended up at Oxford. During this time it was allocated to sheds in Penzance, Tyseley, Severn Tunnel Junction, Cardiff Canton, and ended its days in the London Division of the Western Region of British Railways, based at Southall, Reading, Didcot and finally Oxford in July 1958. It was used for a variety of duties including fast passenger service and freight.

It was sold to Fleetwood Locomotive Centre in Lancashire, and left as the 179th departure from Barry in October 1986.

In 1994 it was purchased by the Furness Railway Trust and stored at Lytham Motive Power Museum. In March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre where preventative maintenance has been carried out prior to full restoration. With the completion of the FRT's new accommodation at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in Lancashire, it is planned that 4979 will be moved into the new shed where the restoration can continue under cover. In advance of this a number of parts have been gathered.

The class was the standard mixed traffic design on the GWR, handling express passenger and heavy goods trains. As befits a jack-of-all-trades, it had a varied career with the Great Western and British Railways (Western Region), serving in the West Country, the Midlands, South Wales, London and Oxford.

Wootton Hall came into Furness Railway Trust ownership in 1994.
For the first twelve and a half years in FRT ownership, the locomotive was stored at the Lytham Motive Power Museum - having passed along Blackpool Promenade en route from its previous home at Fleetwood!
However, in March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre, where it resideds right alongside the Settle to Carlisle Railway Line! Much of the cost of the move was sponsored by the Lytham Motive Power Museum, which has aspirations to reopen in the future. It is now at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston.

Having had to take its place in the restoration queue behind first Furness Railway Number 20, and then its fellow Swindon stablemate, GWR 0-6-2T 5643, whilst at Appleby, a small team, led by Keith Brewer, has continued to visit Wootton Hall to carry out preventative maintenance. The opportunity has also been taken to purchase items when funds or opportunity allow. This is a sensible policy: many items found on Great Western Railway engines were standardised, and so it was sometimes possible to get something for Wootton Hall at the same time as purchasing a similar part for 5643, for less than we would have to pay were we to order the two fittings separately. We have also kept our eyes open for other one offs: for example, the FRT has obtained this original GWR safety valve bonnet and clack valve cover from a local collector.


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 at the Ribble Steam Railway 2015
Date Photo Taken: 06/04/2015
Date Uploaded 13/06/2015
Image Owner/Copyright: Robert Fawcett
Views: 294
Comments: 0


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 'Wooton Hall' under restoration at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston on 6 April 2015. Built at Swindon Works in February 1930, it was withdrawn from 81F Oxford shed in December 1963 and sold to Woodham Brothers, Barry for scrap.

The Great Western Railway 4900 Class or Hall Class is a class of 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotives designed by Charles Collett. A total of 259 were built, numbered 49004999, 59005999 and 69006958. The LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 and LNER Thompson Class B1 both drew heavily on design features of the Hall Class. After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways gave them the power classification 5MT.

The prototype was rebuilt from GWR Saint Class number 2925 Saint Martin in 1924 with smaller driving wheels. Additionally the cylinders were realigned in relation to the driving axle and a more modern 'Castle'- type cab was fitted. The rebuilt Saint Martin emerged from Swindon in 1924 and, renumbered 4900, embarked on three years of trials. During this period Collett introduced other modifications. The pitch of the taper boiler was altered and outside steam pipes were added.

Satisfied with no.4900's performance Collett placed an order with Swindon works and the first of the new two-cylinder Halls entered service in 1928. They differed little from the prototype; the bogie wheel diameter had been reduced by two inches from 3 ft 2 in (0.965 m) to 3 ft 0 in (0.914 m) and the valve setting amended to give an increased travel of 7.5 in (191 mm). The overall weight of the locomotive had increased by 2 tons 10 cwt (5,600 lb or 2.5 t) to 75 tons 0 cwt (168,000 lb or 76.2 t) but a tractive effort of 27,275 lbf (121.33 kN) compared favourably with the 24,935 lbf (110.92 kN) of the 'Saint'.

In what amounted to a trial run the first 14 were despatched to the arduous proving grounds of the Cornish main line. However they were so successful here and elsewhere on the GW system that by the time the first production batch of 80 had been completed in 1930 a further 178 were on order. By 1935, 150 were in service and the 259th and last Hall, No. 6958 Oxburgh Hall, was delivered in 1943.

4979's first shed allocation was Plymouth Laira and after 32 years of service it ended up at Oxford. During this time it was allocated to sheds in Penzance, Tyseley, Severn Tunnel Junction, Cardiff Canton, and ended its days in the London Division of the Western Region of British Railways, based at Southall, Reading, Didcot and finally Oxford in July 1958. It was used for a variety of duties including fast passenger service and freight.

It was sold to Fleetwood Locomotive Centre in Lancashire, and left as the 179th departure from Barry in October 1986.

In 1994 it was purchased by the Furness Railway Trust and stored at Lytham Motive Power Museum. In March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre where preventative maintenance has been carried out prior to full restoration. With the completion of the FRT's new accommodation at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in Lancashire, it is planned that 4979 will be moved into the new shed where the restoration can continue under cover. In advance of this a number of parts have been gathered.

The class was the standard mixed traffic design on the GWR, handling express passenger and heavy goods trains. As befits a jack-of-all-trades, it had a varied career with the Great Western and British Railways (Western Region), serving in the West Country, the Midlands, South Wales, London and Oxford.

Wootton Hall came into Furness Railway Trust ownership in 1994.
For the first twelve and a half years in FRT ownership, the locomotive was stored at the Lytham Motive Power Museum - having passed along Blackpool Promenade en route from its previous home at Fleetwood!
However, in March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre, where it resideds right alongside the Settle to Carlisle Railway Line! Much of the cost of the move was sponsored by the Lytham Motive Power Museum, which has aspirations to reopen in the future. It is now at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston.

Having had to take its place in the restoration queue behind first Furness Railway Number 20, and then its fellow Swindon stablemate, GWR 0-6-2T 5643, whilst at Appleby, a small team, led by Keith Brewer, has continued to visit Wootton Hall to carry out preventative maintenance. The opportunity has also been taken to purchase items when funds or opportunity allow. This is a sensible policy: many items found on Great Western Railway engines were standardised, and so it was sometimes possible to get something for Wootton Hall at the same time as purchasing a similar part for 5643, for less than we would have to pay were we to order the two fittings separately. We have also kept our eyes open for other one offs: for example, the FRT has obtained this original GWR safety valve bonnet and clack valve cover from a local collector.


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 at the Ribble Steam Railway 2015
Date Photo Taken: 06/04/2015
Date Uploaded 13/06/2015
Image Owner/Copyright: Robert Fawcett
Views: 288
Comments: 0


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 'Wooton Hall' under restoration at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston on 6 April 2015. Built at Swindon Works in February 1930, it was withdrawn from 81F Oxford shed in December 1963 and sold to Woodham Brothers, Barry for scrap.

The Great Western Railway 4900 Class or Hall Class is a class of 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotives designed by Charles Collett. A total of 259 were built, numbered 49004999, 59005999 and 69006958. The LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 and LNER Thompson Class B1 both drew heavily on design features of the Hall Class. After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways gave them the power classification 5MT.

The prototype was rebuilt from GWR Saint Class number 2925 Saint Martin in 1924 with smaller driving wheels. Additionally the cylinders were realigned in relation to the driving axle and a more modern 'Castle'- type cab was fitted. The rebuilt Saint Martin emerged from Swindon in 1924 and, renumbered 4900, embarked on three years of trials. During this period Collett introduced other modifications. The pitch of the taper boiler was altered and outside steam pipes were added.

Satisfied with no.4900's performance Collett placed an order with Swindon works and the first of the new two-cylinder Halls entered service in 1928. They differed little from the prototype; the bogie wheel diameter had been reduced by two inches from 3 ft 2 in (0.965 m) to 3 ft 0 in (0.914 m) and the valve setting amended to give an increased travel of 7.5 in (191 mm). The overall weight of the locomotive had increased by 2 tons 10 cwt (5,600 lb or 2.5 t) to 75 tons 0 cwt (168,000 lb or 76.2 t) but a tractive effort of 27,275 lbf (121.33 kN) compared favourably with the 24,935 lbf (110.92 kN) of the 'Saint'.

In what amounted to a trial run the first 14 were despatched to the arduous proving grounds of the Cornish main line. However they were so successful here and elsewhere on the GW system that by the time the first production batch of 80 had been completed in 1930 a further 178 were on order. By 1935, 150 were in service and the 259th and last Hall, No. 6958 Oxburgh Hall, was delivered in 1943.

4979's first shed allocation was Plymouth Laira and after 32 years of service it ended up at Oxford. During this time it was allocated to sheds in Penzance, Tyseley, Severn Tunnel Junction, Cardiff Canton, and ended its days in the London Division of the Western Region of British Railways, based at Southall, Reading, Didcot and finally Oxford in July 1958. It was used for a variety of duties including fast passenger service and freight.

It was sold to Fleetwood Locomotive Centre in Lancashire, and left as the 179th departure from Barry in October 1986.

In 1994 it was purchased by the Furness Railway Trust and stored at Lytham Motive Power Museum. In March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre where preventative maintenance has been carried out prior to full restoration. With the completion of the FRT's new accommodation at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in Lancashire, it is planned that 4979 will be moved into the new shed where the restoration can continue under cover. In advance of this a number of parts have been gathered.

The class was the standard mixed traffic design on the GWR, handling express passenger and heavy goods trains. As befits a jack-of-all-trades, it had a varied career with the Great Western and British Railways (Western Region), serving in the West Country, the Midlands, South Wales, London and Oxford.

Wootton Hall came into Furness Railway Trust ownership in 1994.
For the first twelve and a half years in FRT ownership, the locomotive was stored at the Lytham Motive Power Museum - having passed along Blackpool Promenade en route from its previous home at Fleetwood!
However, in March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre, where it resideds right alongside the Settle to Carlisle Railway Line! Much of the cost of the move was sponsored by the Lytham Motive Power Museum, which has aspirations to reopen in the future. It is now at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston.

Having had to take its place in the restoration queue behind first Furness Railway Number 20, and then its fellow Swindon stablemate, GWR 0-6-2T 5643, whilst at Appleby, a small team, led by Keith Brewer, has continued to visit Wootton Hall to carry out preventative maintenance. The opportunity has also been taken to purchase items when funds or opportunity allow. This is a sensible policy: many items found on Great Western Railway engines were standardised, and so it was sometimes possible to get something for Wootton Hall at the same time as purchasing a similar part for 5643, for less than we would have to pay were we to order the two fittings separately. We have also kept our eyes open for other one offs: for example, the FRT has obtained this original GWR safety valve bonnet and clack valve cover from a local collector.


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 at the Ribble Steam Railway 2015
Date Photo Taken: 06/04/2015
Date Uploaded 13/06/2015
Image Owner/Copyright: Robert Fawcett
Views: 303
Comments: 1


BR/GWR Collett 4-6-0 Class 4900 Hall No. 4979 'Wooton Hall' under restoration at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston on 6 April 2015. Built at Swindon Works in February 1930, it was withdrawn from 81F Oxford shed in December 1963 and sold to Woodham Brothers, Barry for scrap.

The Great Western Railway 4900 Class or Hall Class is a class of 4-6-0 mixed traffic steam locomotives designed by Charles Collett. A total of 259 were built, numbered 49004999, 59005999 and 69006958. The LMS Stanier Class 5 4-6-0 and LNER Thompson Class B1 both drew heavily on design features of the Hall Class. After nationalisation in 1948, British Railways gave them the power classification 5MT.

The prototype was rebuilt from GWR Saint Class number 2925 Saint Martin in 1924 with smaller driving wheels. Additionally the cylinders were realigned in relation to the driving axle and a more modern 'Castle'- type cab was fitted. The rebuilt Saint Martin emerged from Swindon in 1924 and, renumbered 4900, embarked on three years of trials. During this period Collett introduced other modifications. The pitch of the taper boiler was altered and outside steam pipes were added.

Satisfied with no.4900's performance Collett placed an order with Swindon works and the first of the new two-cylinder Halls entered service in 1928. They differed little from the prototype; the bogie wheel diameter had been reduced by two inches from 3 ft 2 in (0.965 m) to 3 ft 0 in (0.914 m) and the valve setting amended to give an increased travel of 7.5 in (191 mm). The overall weight of the locomotive had increased by 2 tons 10 cwt (5,600 lb or 2.5 t) to 75 tons 0 cwt (168,000 lb or 76.2 t) but a tractive effort of 27,275 lbf (121.33 kN) compared favourably with the 24,935 lbf (110.92 kN) of the 'Saint'.

In what amounted to a trial run the first 14 were despatched to the arduous proving grounds of the Cornish main line. However they were so successful here and elsewhere on the GW system that by the time the first production batch of 80 had been completed in 1930 a further 178 were on order. By 1935, 150 were in service and the 259th and last Hall, No. 6958 Oxburgh Hall, was delivered in 1943.

4979's first shed allocation was Plymouth Laira and after 32 years of service it ended up at Oxford. During this time it was allocated to sheds in Penzance, Tyseley, Severn Tunnel Junction, Cardiff Canton, and ended its days in the London Division of the Western Region of British Railways, based at Southall, Reading, Didcot and finally Oxford in July 1958. It was used for a variety of duties including fast passenger service and freight.

It was sold to Fleetwood Locomotive Centre in Lancashire, and left as the 179th departure from Barry in October 1986.

In 1994 it was purchased by the Furness Railway Trust and stored at Lytham Motive Power Museum. In March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre where preventative maintenance has been carried out prior to full restoration. With the completion of the FRT's new accommodation at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston in Lancashire, it is planned that 4979 will be moved into the new shed where the restoration can continue under cover. In advance of this a number of parts have been gathered.

The class was the standard mixed traffic design on the GWR, handling express passenger and heavy goods trains. As befits a jack-of-all-trades, it had a varied career with the Great Western and British Railways (Western Region), serving in the West Country, the Midlands, South Wales, London and Oxford.

Wootton Hall came into Furness Railway Trust ownership in 1994.
For the first twelve and a half years in FRT ownership, the locomotive was stored at the Lytham Motive Power Museum - having passed along Blackpool Promenade en route from its previous home at Fleetwood!
However, in March 2007 it was moved to a new storage site at the Appleby Heritage Centre, where it resideds right alongside the Settle to Carlisle Railway Line! Much of the cost of the move was sponsored by the Lytham Motive Power Museum, which has aspirations to reopen in the future. It is now at the Ribble Steam Railway, Preston.

Having had to take its place in the restoration queue behind first Furness Railway Number 20, and then its fellow Swindon stablemate, GWR 0-6-2T 5643, whilst at Appleby, a small team, led by Keith Brewer, has continued to visit Wootton Hall to carry out preventative maintenance. The opportunity has also been taken to purchase items when funds or opportunity allow. This is a sensible policy: many items found on Great Western Railway engines were standardised, and so it was sometimes possible to get something for Wootton Hall at the same time as purchasing a similar part for 5643, for less than we would have to pay were we to order the two fittings separately. We have also kept our eyes open for other one offs: for example, the FRT has obtained this original GWR safety valve bonnet and clack valve cover from a local collector.


Books about Railway Locomotives

Books about Railway Loco Classes

Back to Top