LMS/BR Ivatt Class 2MT 2-6-2 Tank No. 41231 is being coaled by grab, while the fireman attends to the smokebox at Wellington Shed on 12 April 1960. It was built at Crewe works and released to traffic in BR days in August 1949. It was withdrawn from 84D Leamington Spa shed in May 1964 and cut up by Cashmores, Great Bridge in August 1964.
The London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) Ivatt Class 2 2-6-2T was a class of light 'mixed-traffic' steam locomotive introduced in 1946.
The LMS had various elderly tank engines and the operating department required a new small class 2 locomotive to replace them. Noting that the Great Western Railway 4500 and 4575 Classes of 2-6-2T ('Prairie') had been successful, George Ivatt designed the new engine type incorporating self-emptying ashpans and rocking grates which were labour-saving devices. A tender version, the Ivatt Class 2 2-6-0 was also produced. The LMS classified them as 2P, but BR preferred the classification 2MT.
The class was introduced between 1946 and 1952. They were based on the LMS Stanier 2-6-2T which was, in turn, based on the LMS Fowler 2-6-2T. Ten were built by the LMS before nationalisation in 1948, and were numbered 1200–1209. British Railways added the prefix '4' to their numbers so they became 41200–41209. A further 120 were built by BR, numbers 41210–41329. Most were built at Crewe,including 41272 — the 7000th locomotive to be built there, but the last ten were built at Derby. Fifty engines were fitted with push-pull equipment, these being Nos. 41210–41229, 41270–41289 and 41320–41329.
The last thirty Crewe-built engines, 41290–41319, were allocated to the Southern Region from new. The rest were London Midland Region engines. They spent their lives mostly on branch line work.
The design formed the basis for the BR standard class 2 2-6-2T (numbers 84000–29), which were built to a slightly smaller loading gauge and so have slanted cab sides. These engines also incorporate a fallplate and fittings common to many BR standard classes, such as the chimneys.
Four have survived to preservation, and now work on heritage railway lines: 41241, 41298, 41312 and 41313.