Mon 22 Jan 2018 00:36:10


British Railway Steam Locomotive

Please read this statement on the accuracy of the data shown below

Note: To Obtain Consistency in the Steam System, Shed Codes used are those Registered at Nationalisation on 1st January 1948
2nd Grouping Number
1st Grouping Numbersr 2405
2nd Pre Grouping Number
1st Pre Grouping Numberlbsc 405
Works/Lot Number
Class CodeE5
DesignerBillinton RJ
BuilderBrighton Works (SR/British Railways)
1948 Shed75E Three Bridges
Last Shed75G Eastbourne
Disposal detailsEastleigh Works (B.R.)
DisposalCut Up
Disposal Datec1952

Class Information

The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway E5 Class is a class of 0-6-2Tside tank steam locomotive designed by Robert Billinton. They were introduced in 1902 and were a larger version of the E4 Class intended for semi-fast secondary passenger work.

As the weight of passenger trains continued to grow steadily during the 1890s and 1900s Robert Billinton decided to enlarge his radial tank classes still further by introducing a 5-foot-6-inch (1.676 m) wheeled version incorporating the C2 class boiler. Thirty E5 locomotives were built by Brighton Works between November 1902 and November 1904. In addition to more power and a higher top speed, they also had more fuel capacity than the E4 class.

The third of RJ Billinton's 0-6-2 radial tanks was the E5 class of 1902 which was intended for working semi-fast outer suburban and country trains. Although outwardly very similar to the E4 class they were given larger, 5' 6" driving wheels and a longer firebox than the E4. Water and coal capacities were also greater at 1,665 gallons and 3 tons. Weighing some 60 tons in all they were the largest tank engine to date to be owned by the LB&SCR.

Most of the class of thirty engines were identical (quite a feat for the LB&SCR) although two, Farncombe and Nutbourne were subsequently fitted with different boilers made with three rings, with the safety valves on the dome, in place of the original two rings. In later years these two odd boilers were fitted to No. 399 and No. 587. One locomotive, No. 591 Tillington, worked the Grand Vitesse van trains from London Bridge to Newhaven for many years and was also the last engine to wear the yellow Brighton livery, keeping it until 1917. Of the thirty original E5s, all bar two lasted into British Railways

During 1906 some of the engines were modified by Marsh to 2-4-2T by the simple means of removing the front coupling rods but there was nothing to be gained from this and the coupling rods were replaced in 1909. The E5s were deemed to be fairly successful and locomotives achieved high mileages, but in 1911 four examples were rebuilt by D. E. Marsh with the larger C3 class boiler with 170 lb pressure, which were then re-classified as E5x. This experiment was not however a success and the performance was not greatly improved and higher centre of gravity made for rougher running at speed.

The E5s were capable of fast, steady running and one regular turn was the "Managing Directors' Train", so called from its arrival time at London Bridge of 10:48 am. Another long-forgotten E5 turn was the morning train from Chichester to Victoria via Midhurst and Pulborough. Rumour has it that this train was run expressly to please the influential inhabitants of Cowdray Park and Petworth House!

All of the class survived the transfer to Southern Railway ownership in 1923. One E5 was however withdrawn in 1936 and another in 1944 following a collision . The remainder continued in regular use following the nationalisation of the Southern Railway to become a part of British Railways in 1948. However, many of the class were now worn out and the arrival of a large number of new 2-6-4T locomotives in Southern England enabled the withdrawal of the remaining members of the class between 1949 and 1956. No examples have been preserved.

Developed further by Billinton in 1904 as Class E6.

British Railways (BR) numbers were 32399-32406, 32567-32576 and 32583-32594.

The first loco withdrawn was 2569 in May 1936 from ??? shed.
The first loco withdrawn by BR was 32589 in January 1949 from Tunbridge Wells West shed.
The last three locos withdrawn were 32571, 32483 and 32593 in January 1956 from Norwood Junction, Basingstoke and Dover sheds respectively.
None are preserved.

Technical Details

Designer : R. J. Billinton
Builder : Brighton Works
Introduced : 1902
Build date : 19021904
Total produced : 30 ; 4 rebuilt ; Total to BR 22
Configuration : 0-6-2T
Gauge 4 ft 8 in (1,435 mm)
Driver wheel diameter : 5 ft 6 in (1.676 m)
Locomotive weight : 60 tons 0 cwt
Fuel type : Coal
Boiler pressure : 160 or 175lb/sq in NS
Cylinders : Two (inside)
Cylinder size : 18 in 26 in (457 mm 660 mm)
Valve Gear : Stephenson (slide valves)
Tractive effort : 16,410 lb or 17,945 lb
Withdrawn : 19361956
Disposition : All scrapped

Books about Railway Sheds

Books about Railway Depots

Last Updated :

Back to Top

Primary Navigation


Steam Loco Search