www.railuk.info

Sat 20 Jan 2018 17:18:40


 
 

British Railway Steam Locomotive

Top
Please read this statement on the accuracy of the data shown below

Note: To Obtain Consistency in the Steam System, Shed Codes used are those Registered at Nationalisation on 1st January 1948
Number30757
2nd Grouping Number
1st Grouping Numbersr 757
2nd Pre Grouping Numberlswr 757
1st Pre Grouping Numberpd&sw 4
Works/Lot Number
NameEarl of Mount Edgcumbe
Class Code757
DesignerHawthorn Leslie
Designation0-6-2T
Builtc1907
BuilderHawthorne Leslie
1948 Shed72D Plymouth Friary
Last Shed
Withdrawn31/12/1956
Disposal detailsEastleigh Works (B.R.)
DisposalCut Up
Disposal Date31/01/1958
NotesEx Plymouth Devonport & South Western Junction Railway

Class Information

Built 1907. Designed by Hawthorn Leslie.

Total Number Built 2 - Total to BR 2.

Introduced 1907. Hawthorn Leslie design for Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway.

Two of these tank engines were built in 1907 for the opening of the PDSWJR on 2nd March 1908 and continued to work on the line after Nationalisation, finally being withdrawn in 1957.

The locos became Nos. 757 and 758 in the LSWR and SR lists. They were named Earl of Mount Edgcumbe and Lord St. Levan.

Another 0-6-0 tank engine purchased at the same time was an 0-6-0 Tank classified as Class 756.

Number Series 30757, 30758

Built at Hawthorn Leslie & Co. Ltd Works.

The first loco withdrawn was ??? in 1957 from ??? shed.
The last loco withdrawn was ?? in 1957 from ??? shed.
None are preserved.

The Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway (PD&SWJR) in England was built by an independent company (1890-1923) but operated by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) as part of its main line to give it independent access to Plymouth.

The PD&SWJR ran from Lydford to Devonport Junction, just west of Plymouth North Road station and opened on 2 June 1890. A branch from Bere Alston to Callington was opened on 2 March 1908 using the newly built Bere Alston and Calstock Light Railway and the re-gauged East Cornwall Mineral Railway; the section to Gunnislake is still operating. The branch was engineered under the supervision of Holman Fred Stephens with the consulting engineers Galbraith and Church; it was not operated by the LSWR but as an independent railway.

The PD&SWJR was listed in the Railways Act 1921 as one of the "subsidiary companies" of the Southern Group. This meant that it would not amalgamate, but instead would be absorbed either by the Southern Railway (SR) following its formation at the start of 1923, or prior to that date by one of the SR's constituent companies. On 11 December 1922 the Railway Amalgamation Tribunal authorised the LSWR to absorb the PD&SWJR in advance of the Grouping.

For the 1908 extension, three new steam locomotives were ordered from Hawthorn Leslie and Company and one of the 3ft 6in gauge Neilson and Company locomotives from the East Cornwall Mineral Railway was rebuilt to standard gauge.

The Hawthorn Leslie locomotives were painted blue with brass dome covers and chimney caps. Once the LSWR had absorbed the PD&SWJR in late 1922, nos. 35 were repainted in LSWR livery, and they were renumbered 7568 following on from the initial series of LSWR N15 class locomotives; this process took several months, being completed when no. 757 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe was repainted in October 1923. The Southern Railway had been formed at the start of 1923, but their livery was not applied immediately - the three ex-PD&SWJR locomotives were repainted in SR livery between March 1926 and April 1927. At this time, their former LSWR numbers were prefixed with the letter E, denoting Eastleigh Works, which had been responsible for maintenance of the ex-PD&SWJR locomotives following the cessation of repairs at Callington Road in mid-1923. The E prefix was dropped following the SR's 1931 renumbering. All three survived into British Railways (BR) ownership, and their SR numbers were to be increased by 30000, but no. 756 was withdrawn in October 1951 without being renumbered. BR livery and numbers were applied to nos. 757/8 in May 1949 (30757) and December 1950 (30758). These two were withdrawn in December 1957 and December 1956 respectively. There was also a 4th loco which did not have a number, named Kelly 0-4-2T, Driving Wheels 3ft 1in, Cylinders 10" x 18", Boiler pressure 90 psi. This was rebuilt.

The line from Bere Alston to Lydford (and beyond to Okehampton) was closed on 6 May 1968 and the line from Gunnislake to Callington was closed on 5 November 1966.

The PD&SWJR's lines from St Budeaux to Bere Alston and Bere Alston to Gunnislake are still open - today's Tamar Valley Line. There are moves to reopen the section of old line between Bere Alston and Tavistock North and also moves to have a cycleway along any new railway for much of this route.

Weight : Loco 49 tons 19 cwt
Driving Wheels : 4' 0"
Boil Press: 170lb/sq in NS
Cylinders : Two 16" x 24" (outside)
Valve Gear : Stephenson (slide valves)
TE : 18,495 lb

Books about Railway Sheds

Books about Railway Depots

Last Updated :

Back to Top

Primary Navigation

Top

Steam Loco Search