www.railuk.info

Mon 22 Jan 2018 23:56:39


 
 

British Railway Steam Locomotive

Top
Please read this statement on the accuracy of the data shown below

Note: To Obtain Consistency in the Steam System, Shed Codes used are those Registered at Nationalisation on 1st January 1948
Number
2nd Grouping Number
1st Grouping Numbersr 453
2nd Pre Grouping Number
1st Pre Grouping Numberlsw 453
Works/Lot Number
Class CodeG14
DesignerDrummond D
Designation4-6-0
Built31/03/1908
BuilderNine Elms (LSWR)
1948 Shed
Last Shed
Withdrawn31/01/1925
Disposal details
DisposalCut Up
Disposal Datec1925

Class Information

The LSWR G14 class was a class of 4-6-0 locomotive designed by Dugald Drummond for the London and South Western Railway.

The continuing need to grasp the nettle in terms of Drummond's first two 4-6-0 classes meant that he went back to the drawing board to create yet another design. The LSWR's immediate traffic needs were covered to a certain extent by the relatively unsuccessful E14 class design of 1907. This was because the first Drummond 4-6-0, the F13 class of 1905 had been withdrawn from the heavy boat train services they were designed to undertake, as they were heavy on coal, water and man-hours in terms of upkeep. However, the problem of continually accelerating timetables to the South Coast ports remained, and the E14s could not be relied upon to uphold the heavy passenger services alone.

It was once again clear that another 4-6-0 design was needed due to bolster the strength of heavy express passenger locomotives available to the LSWR's operating department. Their proven ability to ply their trade at faster speeds, and their inherently better power-to-weight ratio on other lines meant that Drummond decided to persevere with the concept. He also returned to the twin-cylinder layout. The resultant design was to become the G14 Class.

Drummond decided to continue his development of the 4-6-0 wheel arrangement in anticipation of further increases in speed and length of trains, a concept that had many advantages that would be incorporated onto his third design of this type. A 175 lbf/in² saturated steam boiler was utilised, therefore generating the steam needed to power a four-cylinder front end, which were mounted on the outside.

The new design was equipped with inside and outside sets of Walschaerts valve gear, therefore reducing the mechanical complexity that had plagued his previous designs, and these powered 6' wheels. This factor also meant a slightly lighter axle-loading, compared to the mixed Stephenson/Walschaerts F13 class. Large, single splashers were also implemented which covered the wheels, though these would prove troublesome in service. The Drummond 'watercart' eight-wheeled tender was utilised for the long journeys on the LSWR mainline. Full-scale construction was undertaken at Nine Elms, with the first of five G14s being outshopped in 1908.

After a period of 17 years in both primary and secondary passenger duties, Richard Maunsell, who became Chief Mechanical Engineer of the newly formed Southern Railway in 1923, decided that the class needed to be rebuilt to conform with the general standardization of Southern locomotive classes. The G14s were reduced to kits of parts, which were utilised in creating a further batch of N15 (King Arthur Class) locomotives.

Under the LSWR, the G14s were outshopped in the LSWR Passenger Royal Green livery with purple-brown edging, creating panels of green. This was further lined in white and black with 'LSWR' in gilt on the tender tank sides.

When transferred to Southern Railway ownership after 1923, the locomotives were outshopped in Richard Maunsell's darker version of the LSWR livery. The LSWR standard gilt lettering was changed to yellow with 'Southern' on the water tank sides. The locomotives also featured black and white lining.

The G14 design had originally been intended to operate expresses between Salisbury and Exeter, and were considered to be more successful than their F13 and E14 predecessors. However, the class still had most of the drawbacks associated with Drummond 4-6-0s in terms of high water and coal consumption.

The G14s continued in their Drummond guise without modification until they were rebuilt in 1925 by Richard Maunsell, who used the parts to create new N15 class locomotives. As a result, no examples survived into preservation.

Technical Details

Designer : Dugald Drummond
Builder : LSWR Nine Elms Works
Build date : 1908
Total produced : 5
Configuration : 4-6-0
UIC classification : 2'Cn
Gauge : 4 ft 8½ in (1,435 mm)
Leading wheel diameter : 3 ft 7 in (1.092 m)
Driver wheel diameter : 6 ft 0 in (1.829 m)
Locomotive weight : 70.95 long tons (72.1 t)
Tender weight : 49.00 long tons (49.8 t)
Fuel capacity : 4 long tons (4.1 t)
Water capacity : 4,500 imp gal (20,000 l)
Boiler pressure : 200 lb sq in (1.38 MPa)
Firegrate area : 31½ sq ft (2.93 m2)
Cylinders : Four
Cylinder size : 15×26 in (381×660 mm)
Tractive effort : 24,192 lbf (107.61 kN)
Career : London and South Western Railway, Southern Railway
Number : 453–457
Retired : 1925
Disposition : All rebuilt to N15 class

Books about Railway Sheds

Books about Railway Depots

Last Updated :

Back to Top

Primary Navigation

Top

Steam Loco Search