www.railuk.info

Sun 26 Mar 2017 15:51:31


 
 

British Railway Station Information

Top

Station Name

Carlisle Citadel (Joint)

Railway Company

Route Map

Route of The Silloth Branch - Carlisle to Silloth line showing Stations and other information


Images

BR Sulzer Type 2 class 24 No. D5081 (24081) at Carlisle Station 1965

Image Date: 10/07/1965
Image Owner: Unknown


Ex works BR Sulzer Type 2 No. D5081 at Carlisle Station on 10th July 1965 on a Blackpool bound special on the first Saturday of 'Glasgow Fair' week. The loco was later to become Class 24 24081. Black Five No. 45012 is waiting in the centre road reday to take over the train from the diesel.


The Last Train to Silloth

Image Date: 06/09/1964
Image Owner: Howie Milburn


The last train to Silloth hauled by 43139 stands in Carlisle Station at platform 8 ready to depart.


The Last Train to Silloth

Image Date: 06/09/1964
Image Owner: Howie Milburn


The last train to Silloth hauled by 43139 departing from Carlisle Station platform 8 and passing under the viaduct bridge. A view looking north.


The Last Train to Silloth

Image Date: 06/09/1964
Image Owner: Howie Milburn


The last train to Silloth hauled by 43139 departing from Carlisle Station platform 8. A view looking back towards the station.


EMD Freightliner Class 66/5 Diesel No. 66509 at Carlisle Station

Image Date: 18/04/2013
Image Owner: Howie Milburn


General Motors Electro-Motive Division (EMD) Freightliner Class 66/5 diesel No. 66509 standing at Carlisle station platform 3 at 10:47 on 18 April 2013


BR Sulzer Type 2 class 24 No. D5081 (24081) at Carlisle Station 1965

Image Date: 10/07/1965
Image Owner: Howie Milburn


Ex works BR Sulzer Type 2 No. D5081 at Carlisle Station on 10th July 1965 on a Blackpool bound special on the first Saturday of 'Glasgow Fair' week. The loco was later to become Class 24 24081. 24081 was built at Crewe Works and released to traffic on 19 March 1960. It is owned, maintained and operated by a small group of dedicated diesel volunteers and is preserved on the Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Railway. It was the final member of the class to be withdrawn on 5 October 1980 from D5 Stoke Division. Black Five No. 45012 is waiting in the centre road reday to take over the train from the diesel. It was built at Crewe Works and released to traffic on 30th April 1935. Withdrawn from 66B Motherwell shed in October 1966, it was cut up by Drapers, Neptune Street Goods Yard, Hull in March 1967 A group of trainspotters talk amongst themselves and watch the diesel loco. Two are wearing smart jackets and trousers and one wears an anorak and jeans with turn-ups.


BR/LNER Class A1 No. 60130 at Ardsley Shed 1965

Image Date: 14/03/1965
Image Owner: Unknown


BR/LNER Class A1 No. 60130 Kestrel on Ardsley Shed Sunday 14th March 1965. One trainspotters notebook in hand ruses by wearing a pullover and long trousers. Another, carrying a camera, poses for another camera at the side of the loco wearing a pullover, shirt and long trousers. The third spotter takes the photo wearing an anorak and long trousers.


LNER/BR Reid Class J37 0-6-0 No. 64608 at Carlisle Station in 1960

Image Date: 11/08/1960
Image Owner: Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence


London North Eastern Railway/British Railways J37 0-6-0 No. 64608 at Carlisle Station on a stopping train to Hawick on 11 August 1960. A view looking South East on Platform 7, with ex-North British J37 0-6-0 No. 64608 ready to leave on the 18.13 slow up the Waverley Route to Hawick (arriving 19.47). The scene shows this great Station in its less imposing state after the - by then decaying - glass roof with end-screens was rebuilt in 1957. Carlisle (Citadel) was owned jointly by the London & North Western and Caledonian Railways, but was unique in the number of other Companies it served:- North Eastern, Midland and Maryport & Carlisle from the south end; North British and Glasgow & South Western from the north. The loco was a Reid NBR superheated development design of Class J35, introduced 1914. Built by the North British Locomotive Company, Glasgow in December 1919. It was withdrawn from 62B Dundee Tay Bridge shed in August 1966 and cut up by Motherwell Machinery & Scrap, Wishaw in December 1966.


BR Class 08, 08910 (D4140) at Carlisle Citadel on 25 June 1983

Image Date: 25/05/1983
Image Owner: Peter Hoggan


Built 1962 at BR Horwich Works; here allocated to Carlisle Upperby CL, 08910 is working as Carlisle Station Pilot and arrives to remove ecs back to Upperby Yard.


BR Class 08, 08910 (D4140) at Carlisle Citadel on 19 October 1991

Image Date: 19/10/1991
Image Owner: Peter Hoggan


Built BR Horwich Works in 1962; here dual braked 08910 waits to remove Motorail ecs to Upperby CS. This loco was scrapped - still in BR Blue livery -at TJ Thompson, Stockton in December 2007.


More Images.....

Books about Railway Lines

Books about Railway Stations

Books about Railway Companies

Back to Top

Primary Navigation

Top

Search Stations