Wed 21 Feb 2018 14:48:28


British Railway Station Information


Station Name

Willesden Junction LL (LNW)

Railway Company

London & North Western

Date Opened



BR/LMS Stanier Class Princess 4-6-2 No. 46209 at Willesden Junction Station 1962

Image Date: 04/05/1962
Image Owner: © Copyright Ben Brooksbank and licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Licence

BR/LMS Stanier Class Princess 4-6-2 pacific No. 46209 'Princess Beatrice' at Willesden Junction Station 4 May 1962. With only four months to live it is hauling the 06.43 Wolverhampton - Euston Football Cup Final Special express. Built at Crewe Works in August 1935, it was withdrawn from 1B Camden shed in September 1962 and cut up a Crewe Works in November 1962. The London, Midland and Scottish Railway 'Princess Royal' Class was a class of an express passenger steam locomotive designed by William Stanier. Thirteen examples were built at Crewe Works, between 1933 and 1935 and two are preserved. When originally built, they were used to haul the famous Royal Scot train between London Euston and Glasgow Central. A prototype batch of three locomotives was to be constructed in 1933. Two were constructed as drawn but the third set of frames was retained as the basis for an experimental turbine locomotive The third prototype was constructed with the aid of the Swedish Ljungstrom turbine company and known as the Turbomotive, although not named. It was numbered 6202, in sequence with the Princess Royals. Although 'generally similar' to the rest of the Princess Royals, and 'not all that much different', it used a larger 40 element superheater to give a higher steam temperature, more suitable for turbine use. This boiler was also domeless as would later be used for the second batch of the Princess Royals. The continuous exhaust of the turbine, rather than the sharper intermittent blast of the piston engine, also required changes to the draughting and the use of a double chimney. It entered service in June 1935 on the London–Liverpool service. This Turbomotive was rebuilt in 1952 with conventional 'Coronation' cylinders and named Princess Anne, but was soon destroyed in the Harrow and Wealdstone rail crash. A second batch of eleven locomotives was constructed later and the class were withdrawn in the early 1960s in line with British Railways' modernisation plan. Four trainspotters watch it thunder past. The spotter in the background is wearing his school uniform of peaked school cap, blazer, short trousers and knee socks. The ones in the foreground wear a variety of jackets with long trousers.

Books about Railway Lines

Books about Railway Stations

Books about Railway Companies

Back to Top

Primary Navigation


Search Stations